Welcome to a blog for pokemon fans by pokemon fans

Monday, January 6, 2014

Flash ranks the types


Okay, lets set some rules in stone.  Number one, just Base Stat Totals, or BSTs cannot order the types, or else the list would be obvious and therefore uninteresting.  So, these lists are composed with pokemon, moves, weaknesses/strengths, and specific stat advantages/disadvantages, and a few of the types are just where they are because I randomly like them.  After all, everyone tends to attach themselves at random to one or two types.  So, here we go…

18. Poison



I know, I know… “IT’S NOT BUG!!!!!!!! EVERYTHING IS BETTER THAN BUG!!!!” Close, almost everything is better than bug.  But not poison.  Sure, BST wise, bug type is the very worst.  However, Poison is just… Pointless.  The purpose of most poison moves are to poison, duh.  But, you don’t need a poison type to do so.  EVERY POKEMON THAT CAN LEARN TMS CAN LEARN TOXIC… WHICH POISONS.  Also, the pokemon are very dumb (cough cough muk cough cough garbordor cough cough zubat skuntank skorupi foongus weedle venonat croagunk cough cough cough cough) and the only good ones have 2nd types that I enjoy.

17. Normal


Normal has a few nice things about it, but for the most part, it’s vanilla… it’s boring… It’s normal! Normal is just boring, and a lot of the good normal types are normal/Flying.  The normal type is represented at face value by the derps (rattata, sentret, zigzagoon, bidoof, patrat, bunnelby) and normal type tends to not even be represented in the meta.  However, it does have its gems… Kangaskhan is an important member of my team as he has a killer movepool, and good ‘ol dunsparce makes for a fun unforeseen special sweeper.  Not to mention Arceus is the bomb.com but show me a tournament that allows him.  Point is normal, not fun.

16. Bug



Here it is!!! Bug is weak, if you didn’t know, and a lot of them are very lame, so it’s an obvious choice for this far down the list.  Because of the obvious placement, I want to say some of the good things about it.  SHUCKLE.  He has the highest Base defense and special defense stats.  Some might say “his attack is insufferable!” however, if you use power split, he has the same attack stat as his opponent, which, when plopped next to its defense, makes it perfect.  Other than that, some other bug types are buckets of fun.  Scizor and Galvantula are metagame staples, and Heracross is great.  Plus, move wise…. DAT MEGAHORN DOH!!!!!!!

15. Psychic



Even if it has a good average bst, Psychic is just… no fun.  It has no HP stat to it, so its easy to kill.  They only have two good moves, zen headbutt if you’re a physical kinda guy, and psychic if you’re a special attack ‘mon, which isn’t even a creative name. Most of the cool psychic types are legendaries, and the other cool ones have second types. Metagross and Gardevoir at one point made psychic the bomb, but since then Metagross has been made useless, and Gardevoir is now fairy type, essentially only adding weaknesses.  So what makes Psychic better than the types I ranked below it? Special attack. It makes for a great sweeper if you train it right, but that kinda means nothing to me, because when I think psychic… I think swoobat.

14. Fairy



When fairy type was announced, people went crazy.  DRAGON KILLERS.  HORRAY HORRAY!!!!!!!!! Yeah, well, I don’t like it very much. Sure Xerneas is super awesome, and Sylveon is a fun eeveelution, but all fairy type did was make a personal favorite and essential team member of mine, Hydreigon, four times weak to Marill.  Thanks for that fairy type.  But, fairy type has its upsides.  Dazzling Gleam is a very useful TM, and moonblast is great.  The only problem is, many fairy types that will be used in the metagame are going to be the ones who can only be caught in the friend safari, like togekiss and Clefable.  Yeah, well these guys can’t moonblast for some reason.  And, going back to my personal vendetta against them, they only have two weaknesses so I can’t take them out very easily and old Mortos lives in constant fear.

13. Fighting



Fighting is a nice move type.  Superpower USED to be a good move, but now we have no tudor or tm so nobody can have it.  Hammer arm is used in a lot of my move pools, but the speed lower setback is not my friend.  I love focus blast to death.  Fighting type is also cool on my starters considering I always pick Torchic and Tepig and in my X run through I chose Chespin, although I feel Fenniken is traveling through Kalos with me in Z. Lucario rocks my world, and Hawlucha is captain Cool guy.  But the thing that puts fighting so low is the lack of cool pokemon. Sure, Machamp is nice, but is Conkelldur, or Hariyama, or Throh, or Meinshao, or Scrafty, or Toxicroak? No, no, no, no, no, no.  The end.

12. Grass



Grass is the bottom tier of the starters.  Only a cult group of Venanites picks Bulbasaur, grass “boasts” Chikorita, Treeko, and Snivy, and all though I love Turtwig, I can’t pick him when I have Piplup as an option.  Chespin, as I already said, was the one I thought I loved, but I’m think Fenniken next time around as Chesnaught ended up in the PC barely past level 50.  Grass has a few nice pokermans about it, Trevenant is cool, and something about that Mexican dancing duck Ludicolo just rattles the bones. And grass is my main type in the TCG.  However, video game competitively, grass is only gonna be represented as a “what the heck” factor with SolarBeam on my Fire Starters.

 11. Dark



My feelings for dark type is very complicated.  The pokemon are cool, but the stats are just... awkward.  All dark types are wedged in between decent attack and special attack, subpar defense, and either phenomenal or horrible speed and HP. Absol has a cult following, and Hydreigon is the bomb, Zoroark and Sableye kill all, and Im a big fan of Krookodile.  But one little thing makes dark types as low on my list as they are.  The two types dark type are super effective against, Ghost and Psychic, are also the two types Ghost is super effective against.  And design and stat wise, Ghost is, simply put, better dark type.

10.  Steel



This is where I start being a big fan of all the types left, just some more than others.  Steel is great because its highly defensive, and all the pokemon have some crazy cool type combinations (steel/electric, steel/psychic,steel/fairy,steel/ghost are my favorites).  I love Aegislash, Metagross was cool at one point, and Scizor, Genesect, Lucario, and Empoleon are some of my all time favorite pokemon. Flash cannon is a great move, iron head is a nice phys move, and if your slow enough gyro ball wrecks everyones day (Gyro Shuckle with power split FTW).  So what puts steel this low? The only types its high defense is checked by are Fighting, Fire, and Ground, which just happen to be the three most common offensive types in the Metagame.  Yeah, ouch.

9.  Rock



Rock is a fun type that stands very much alone.  The high defense + decent HP + widespread learning of explosion, stealth rock, spikes, and a few other key moves makes Rock types very excellent leads.  Rock types also commonly have the ability Sturdy, which is great ability for any lead to have. Besides the value they have leading, rock types are just cool pokemon.  You have Gigalith, Golem, Kabutops, Aerodactyl, Tyranitar, Tryantrum, Shuckle, Aggron, Carracosta, you name it.  However, the reason Rock is where it is is that outside of stone edge and power gem, the rock type offers nothing move wise.  Fix that rock type, fix that.

8. Ice



Ice is the original Fairy type.  The big reason for having an ice type is for dragon slaying, plus the bonus coverage of Flying, grass, and ground types.  Ice Beam (or Blizzard if you can handle the accuracy buff) is a great offensive move, and even Icicle crash can help.  The pokemon rule, boasting Glalie, Glaceon, Beartic, Cryogonal, Avalugg, Frosslass, Mamoswine, Cloyster, Lapras, Weavile, and
Abomosnow. Ice is a great offensive type thanks to the many double weaknesses other pokemon have, it pairs well with earthquake and thunderbolt, and plenty of water types can learn ice beam or blizzard. So what's the buff on Ice type?  The three moves I mentioned are it, and THERE'S ALMOST NO ICE TYPES. Seriously, at 37 pokemon its the 3rd rarest type (Fairy being the rarest (understandably since its brand new) and Ghost is 2nd rarest (ghost can handle that though since its that the one thing that keeps it checked)).  Ice just needs more pokemon to be ranked higher.

7. Flying



I love flying type pokemon.  I don't know why, but a lot of flying type pokemon just look cool to me. Noivern, Charizard, Pidgeot, Dodrio, Scyther, Gyarados, Dragonite, Tropius, Salamence, Togekiss, Unfezant, Sigilyph, Emolga, Braviary, Talonflame, and HAWLUCHA. So whats the check here? Well, though most of these pokemon rule in my heart, only three of them (Dragonite, Charizard, and Hawlucha) have ever found themselves on a competitive team of mine just because they arent phenomal.  Flying types are the types included to give you pokemon at the beginning of the game, they all have a second type that helps them to be cool, and Fly is the only move.  So flying really should be lower, but, hey, its my personal opinion and I like flying types.  Sue me.

6. Water



Water Type is hard for me to love because its one of my brothers favorites, which in my house makes it one of my least favorites.  But water type really isnt anything to sneeze at.  Offensively, they make decent tanks.  With an average HP stat of 84, plus a tie of 86 in attack and Special Attack, plus the fact that every water type (minus magikarp and wash rotom) can learn ice beam and blizzard to counter them pesky grass types and dragon types, they make great pokemon.  Hydro pump is amazing, and surf is one of the only two decent HMs along with Fly.  Blastoise is the swaggiest pokemon on the planet, and Vaporeon, Wailord, Milotic, Poliwrath, Slowbro, Cloyster, Gyrados, Lapras, Quagsire, Kingdra, Marshtomp, Ludicolo, Sharpedo, Empoleon, Seismatoad, Kabutops and (I hate to mention legendaries but this guy deserves it) Keldeo are all solid Pokemon.  Plus water type is very widespread, more Water types exist than any other.  So what's the setback? Two main things.  The first is the issue with it being my brothers fave (and I hate to spoil the ending but my fave deep fries his) and when I think "Water Type" I think "The Starters I almost picked but then I went with Fire." Seriously.  "Oh cool I want squirtle, no wait Charmander.  Oh cool I want totodile, no wait Cyndaquil.  Oh cool I want Mudkip, no wait Torchic.  Oh cool I want Oshawott, no wait Tepig." Now there is one exception.  Piplup.  Gotta love that penguin.  So, water type really deserves to be higher, but I don't personally like it as much as some other the other types.  Sorry about that water.

5.  Ground



Ground has high attack, high HP, EARTHQUAKE AND EARTH POWER, and sweet pokemon (Flygon, Excadrill, Krookadile, Stunfisk, Golurk, Golem, Steelix, Marshtomp, Camerupt, Whiscash, Torterra, Garchomp, Mamoswine, Seismitoad, Diggersby).  Also, my second favorite gym leader ever, Giovanni, is ground type. Honestly, ground has zero setback in my eyes, although a few new cool pokemon would be nice. I just connect with the four above it more.

4.  Dragon



Dragon is the best type, and I love it sooooooooo much.  But, its really not cool to put them any higher, and three above it are more special in my heart anyway.  Dragon is the definition of Overpowered.  A base stat total of 580 or more is generally concidered either legendary or psuedo legendary, and Dragon has a BST average of 610.  116 in attack; 110 in special attack is ridiculous, dragon pulse, draco meteor, outrage, and dragon rush are all great moves, and I mean, what other type has Haxorus and Dragonite and Garchomp and Flygon and Hydreigon and Tyrantum and Noivern and (again, hate to use legendaries but i must make an exception) Giratina? Dragon type has 5 out of the 7 psuedo legendaries, and, besides Altaria, Druddigon, and Goodra who can all die off, all dragon types are awesome.  So yeah, Dragon type rocks, but can't be any higher on my list.

3.  Fire



I love fire types.  5 of the Starters I pick are Fire types, although chimchar is my very least favorite starter ever, and its not one of my competitive teams unless a fire type or at least Flamethrower is involved.  Special attack average 106 is very nice, and the pokemon (Ninetails, Arcanine, Rapidash, Flareon, Typhlosion, Magmortar, Charizard, Blaziken, Emboar, Delphox, Houndoom, Chandelure, pyroar, Talonflame)? Theyre awesome.  Flamethrower is an amazing move, super effective of steel is awesome, and two of the four types that resist fire types have such low special defense that it barely matters.  And the fact that they can learn grass moves make them nice to have.  The truth is, you bond very well with your starters, and when five of them have a type in common, its difficult to not bond with that type as well.

1 (tied with electric).  Ghost



I once thought that ghost type was pointless.  But then I realized, my Favorite pokemon is ghost, and my main team has 3 GHOST TYPES ON IT.  I love ghost type so so so so so much.  Honestly, one of the reasons I like the ghost type so much is that the limited amount of them makes them a rare treat that most people overlook, and you're not going to meet many other fans of the type.  But let me show you why they deserve your respect. Gengar, Dusknoir, Spiritomb, Chandelure, Trevenant, Gorgeist, Sableye, Rotom, Golurk, Aegislash, and Giratina.  Shadow ball and claw are beautiful, phantom force as well, Ghosts can also escape everything, ensue special conditions easily, Ghost gets no damage from fighting type or normal type moves, and a ghost move + a fighting or fairy type move has no pokemon that resists it.  Gengar is where the ghost type starts and ends for me, but I'll explain why in my next post. But I just connect well with ghost types, and I have never one a tournament with less than one of them.

1 (tied with Ghost).  Electric



Electric has always been my favorite.  Theyre is always one type that you just love, and for me, its Electric.  Electric type pokemon are just freakin awesome (Raichu, Ampharos, Manetric, Luxray, Electivire, Zebstrika, Magnezone, Rotom, Galvantula, Stunfisk (yes I like stunfisk)) and dont you dare say squat diddly about my boy Pikachu.  With high speed and Special Attack stats, electric types hit em and run.  Thunderbolt (or dundabolt if your my favorite gym leader, lt. Surge) is my favorite move, and with only one weakness and super effectiveness against two uber common metagame types, Electric types are just fantastic.  Every game has an electric type gym (that is if you count the kanto gym thats in GSC/hGsS).  Electric type has my second favorite pokemon, Luxray, and one of my three favorite legendaries, Zapdos.  My 2014 VGC team is the first team I have ever had without an electric type, and I literally cried about it.  I love electric types, and nothing will ever change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment